Cariati

 
 
 

Cariati, Medieval town

The signs of the glorious past of Cariati you can take visiting the historical center, located just over a mile from the marina and accessible from several points. When you arrive there, was impressed to see that the town is still completely surrounded by massive walls divided by massive towers, some in the shape of a truncated cone and other polygons. The walls represents the most emblematic monuments emergency Cariati. It is a massive fortification built on pre-existing Byzantine, towards the middle of the fifteenth century at the time of Aragonese domination, when the town was a fief of the powerful family of Ruffo has a perimeter of one kilometer and is interspersed with eight towers, which give the country the appearance of a typical 'turreted village "medieval.

 

 

The walls of Cariati constitute a rare example of defensive apprestamento century quite well preserved and intact in all its extension. With its ramparts blocks creased, the conical and polygonal towers, the curtains protezionali expanded towards the sea, the fortified town of Cariati inspired by the principle of defensive "wall fortification", closely followed by military architects of Aragon. The first nucleus of the old town was built as a strategic place in the Byzantine fortified between the X and X ° century. In 1509 Cariati was besieged and captured by Robert Guiscard, who became the first feudal lord. After having been in the Norman county in the sixteenth century it became the seat of a vast principality on which the Sanseverino to Coppola, the Borgias to Spinelli, the latter carried the title of "Principles of Cariati" from 1565 until the end of the nineteenth century

 

 

In 1437, during the rule of Ruffo, Cariati was elevated by Pope Eugene IV to episcopal and remained so for over five centuries. The Bishop Nicholas Goliath in 1857 did refurbish and expand the Cathedral of the fifteenth century, transforming it into a sumptuous temple in the neoclassical style. The construction of appearance basilica was performed by workers in Calabria and has three naves. Of considerable artistic value is the wooden choir beginning of 1700. The side chapels are preserved artistic wooden statues of St. Peter and S. Cataldo, also in 1700. Outside, a fine is the dome, covered with colored tiles stove.

 

 

Discover the routes!



hotelberlin@libero.it